Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Australia - Part 1 of 3


I recently got back from a fabulous trip to Australia. We definitely saw all that there was to see, and I single-handedly propped up the Australian retail market through the vast amount of clothing and accessories that I "acquired".


In this three part series on my thoughts and observations on Australia and my 2 part series on Dubai, I will let you know what I saw, how I saw it, what was great, what was bad, and Ill throw in a little bit of local slang to keep it interesting!


So let's get on with it:

General Information on Australia:


  • Language: English

  • Visas required for South Africans? Check.

  • Currency: Aussy Dollar

  • Exchange rate: R6.67 = $1 AUD

  • Shopping: Superb

  • Time difference: Perth is 6 hours ahead of SA, Sydney = 8 hours ahead of SA

  • West Coast to East Coast = 5 hours plane ride

  • Common Aussy Slang:
    > "Chooks" = chickens
    > "Thongs" = sandals and NOT the underwear variety
    > "Bathers" = swimming costume
    > "Ute" = bakkie

Part 2: Shopping and Sight-Seeing in Perth


Part 3: Shopping and Sight-Seeing in Sydney


No comments: